Thursday, September 24, 2015

Comic Review: Danger Girl: Renegade #1

This was originally posted as a review for Word of the Nerd. Reposted here with slight modifications.
Before reading this issue, I didn't know that Danger Girl had an established history in comics. As it turns out, that is a very good thing. Danger Girl: Renegade #1 makes me want to read more, and its back catalogue means I don't have to wait for a new issue to get more.


We start the issue with flashbacks of Abbey Chase, our main Danger Girl, as a child, showing how she has been involved in dangerous situations her entire life. As a newcomer, I found these flashbacks helpful for filling in some of her backstory, while it feels like the kind of information that people already familiar with the series might find a bit repetitive. When it picks up in the present day, the Danger Girl team has been shut down, and Abbey is playing the adventurer archaeologist.

For this book, my lack of an art background fails me. It looks like other art that I've seen, but still manages to feel different. I can't really get into the nuances of what makes me like it, but it fits well with the adventuring feel of the book. It's fin to look at, which is sometimes all that art needs to do.

The best thing a #1 issue can do is make you want to read more, and this book accomplishes that. I'm looking forward to the next issue, and if you don't want to wait, there's already more out there. I will definitely be looking for it.

If you'd like to see more, find this article and others like it at Word of the Nerd, and many thanks to them for allowing cross-posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment