Thursday, October 3, 2013

Don't be so down on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. yet

Recently, my life has been pretty dominated by Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (expect to see a lot about that on here), which I guess I should have expected. My current obsessions are the Marvel movies and Joss Whedon TV shows, and there's no way I'd miss one or the other, no less something that combines both of them. Unfortunately, like with every other time I've been a large fan of something, I can't be part of the fandom. There are many reasons, but really, this is about expectations.

No, the show's not perfect. Far from it, in fact. Each of the two (only two!) episodes that have aired so far have their points where they don't work. I'm not trying to say that they're perfect, but there's something to keep in mind: they're still finding their feet. Look at the other Joss Whedon shows - Buffy was nearly halfway through its second season when it found its groove, Angel was almost at the end of the first season, Firefly found it right at the point where it was cancelled, and Dollhouse found it about halfway through the first season. The purpose of the beginning of the show, the pilot especially, is to get people interested in seeing more. The writers and directors are often trying to figure out the show in the early parts as well. Find your favorite show and watch the first episode again - is that anything like what it ends up being?

Look, I'm not saying to blindly watch everything. If the pilot episode doesn't make you want to watch more, then don't. But TV shows, especially now, are made to play out over the long term. The characters will have storylines that play out over the course of multiple seasons, not just a few episodes, and since JJ Abrams isn't executive producer, I have faith that the questions that are asked and the mysteries that are set up will pay off. Just don't expect everything right away.

Zac Kandell (known mostly on the internet as Mischlings) is the creator of Ravenous Badger Media and finds it really odd that he's telling other people to tone down the negativity. Follow him on Twitter at @Mischlings for when he decides that he has short thoughts to share with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment